A Nationwide Celebration of Peace
YMCA Peace Week is a movement to promote peace in all dimensions. This year, Peace Week celebrations will take place from November 17 to 24, 2018.
YMCA Peace Medal
Nominations open now | Deadline: Thursday, October 18
Each year, YMCAs across Canada celebrate acts of peace by recognizing individuals and groups, who, without any special resources, status, wealth, or position, have demonstrated a commitment to building peace within their community or communities elsewhere in the world. During YMCA Peace Week, taking place from November 17-24, 2018, local peacemakers will receive special recognition at Peace Medal ceremonies across Canada.
2017 Peace Medal Recipients
Peacemakers are selected through a nomination process. Know a peacemaker in your community? Take a look at the guidelines below to nominate them:
Peacemaker Selection Criteria
Peace Medal recipients should demonstrate the values of PEACE:
- Participation: highly involved in relevant community building activities and supportive of others' involvement;
- Empathy: promote understanding across different groups, and create a sense of belonging for all;
- Advocacy: make sound, evidence-based arguments for positive change in the community, and build and constituency for peace;
- Community: strengthen community ties; build social capital; respect diversity and promotes social inclusion;
- Empowerment: empower others to pursue acts for peace and address the social determinants of health.
Please note the following:
- A nominee can be an individual or a group
- Nominees must reside within the Greater Toronto area
- YMCA staff members are not eligible for nomination
- Nominees who are paid or receive financial retribution for the peace making work they do are not eligible
- Self-nominations will not be considered
- Preference will be given to nominees who have not been recognized previously by their peace work
- Nominations should focus on activities that have taken place within the last two years