Have questions about our health and fitness programs? We've got answers!
Interested in learning more about our membership adjustments at Oshawa, Brampton, Central, or Scarborough? Check out our other FAQ page.
Joining or visiting the Y
When you join a YMCA Health & Fitness Centre, you can participate in all the adult programs offered as often as you want. There may, however, be small additional fees for children and youth instructional programs, such as swimming lessons and martial arts. Take a look at our program schedules for more information.
- You can bring as many guests as you wish! The first time anyone visits the YMCA, they are provided with a complimentary pass.
- Adult members 16 years and older may purchase a guest pass. For a safe and enjoyable visit we ask that members accompany their guests during their visit and all guests leave valid photo identification with the Membership Desk.
You can buy a day pass at any one of our YMCA Health & Fitness Centres. That way, you'll be considered a member for the day and can participate in as many programs as you want.
- Cancellation requests must be received from you in writing (either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by signing a cancellation form in person at the centre).
- A minimum notice of 10 business days is needed to cancel your membership.
- Cancellations can’t be backdated and we do not issue refunds.
You can update your personal information by calling the YMCA Contact Centre at (416) 928-9622 or 1-800-223-8024 or by e-mailing email@example.com.
Each of our Health & Fitness centres is unique, just like the communities they serve, so click on the name of your Y for details on the packages and prices offered there:
- Brampton Union St. YMCA Centre
- Toronto Central Grosvenor St. YMCA Centre
- Toronto Sheppard Ave. YMCA Centre
- Toronto Scarborough Town Centre Ct. YMCA Centre
- Toronto West End College St. YMCA Centre
- Oshawa Mary St. YMCA Centre
- Markham YMCA Blvd. Rudy Bratty YMCA Centre
- Mississauga Burnhamthorpe Rd. YMCA Centre
- Toronto Cooper Koo Family YMCA Cherry St. YMCA Centre
The first time you visit the Y, please bring valid photo ID to the front desk. Our staff will issue you a special caregiver pass you can use to enter our facilities with the member you need to accompany. You will need one of these passes if you do not have a YMCA membership of your own, but visit the Y as a:
- Parent, guardian, or caregiver of a child who has a YMCA membership.
- Support worker for a YMCA member.
Our services and schedules
Absolutely! Many of our Centres offer a child minding service that lets you participate in a fitness program while we care for your children in a safe and fun environment.
Children's Registered Programs are cancelled on the following dates:
- Family Day: Monday, February 19, 2018
- Good Friday: Friday, March 30, 2018
- March Break: Monday, March 12 to Sunday, March 18.
- Victoria Day: Monday, May 21, 2018
- Tuesday, June 26 to Monday, July 2, 2018. Lessons resume on Tuesday, July 3, 2018.
- Civic Holiday: Monday, August 6, 2018
- Saturday, August 25 to Friday, September 7, 2018. Lessons resume on Saturday, September 8, 2018.
- Thanksgiving: Monday, October 8, 2018
- Saturday, December 22, 2018 to Friday, January 4, 2019. Lessons resume on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Children's registered programs
At the beginning of your first class, we’ll ask a few questions to get a sense of what level your child would do best in. If needed, we’ll also do a quick skill assessment.
You’ll need to pack a bathing suit and towel for your child, and pool sandals or flip flops for everyone: you, your child, and anyone else attending the lessons, as shoes aren’t permitted on the pool deck. You can also bring goggles, a bathing cap, and a nose plug, but these items are optional. If your child is still in diapers, pull ups, or is recently toilet trained, they will need to wear a swim diaper.
There’s no need to invest in gear until you’re sure your child enjoys martial arts. For the first month, we recommend children wear comfortable clothing they can move in easily. They’ll be barefoot during the class, so if they opt for pants, make sure they’re not too long. Lastly, bring a water bottle labelled with your child’s name so they can hydrate during class.
You’ll need to pack comfortable clothes your child can move easily in, a pair of running shoes, and a water bottle labelled with your child’s name. There’s no need to bring anything else — we’ll supply all the equipment.
Once your child has changed, head to the program area where the class is scheduled. Wait with your child until the Program Coordinator checks in with you. You’ll then leave your child with their Program Instructor, and the class will begin. At the end of the class, the Program Instructor will meet you at a pre-determined area and you’ll sign your child out of the class.
Once you’ve dropped your child off and they’re with the Program Instructor, you can watch the class from designated viewing areas. Ask the Program Coordinator to show you where the viewing areas are.
If your child is unable to attend any of their lessons, there’s no need to call and let us know. If your child misses six consecutive classes, we’ll withdraw them from the program on your behalf. Please note that different policies are in place at three of our centres where we're piloting a new model for kids' Registered Programs: Central, Oshawa, and Brampton.
If you’d like to change the date or time of your child’s program, call the contact centre at 416-928-9622 or stop by the membership desk. A staff will update your child’s registration on your behalf. If there aren’t any available spaces in your preferred program, we’ll add you to its waitlist. When a space becomes available, we’ll send you an email.
The first time you visit the Y with your child, please bring valid photo ID and arrive a few minutes early so you can stop by the front desk. Our staff will issue you a special caregiver pass that you will use to swipe yourself through our front gates each time you bring your child to their lessons.
Yes. The YMCA developed the first nationally recognized Fitness Leadership program in 1974 and continues to train Fitness Leaders today. By fostering relationship building, YMCA fitness programs create a positive atmosphere where members can achieve their personal goals.
Yes. If you have Kinesiology or Health & Fitness education you may be eligible to take our exams without attending training programs. To find out if you have the necessary qualifications, please call 1-800-223-8024 to inquire.
- 10 days or more before the course start date: you can receive a full refund, or transfer to a different course.
- 5 – 9 days before the course start date: you can receive a 50% refund, but transfers to other courses are not available.
- 0 – 4 days before the course start date: you are no longer eligible for refunds or transfers to other courses.
- Exceptions due to unforeseen circumstances (such as family emergencies) can be made at the discretion of the Program Manager/Senior Director.
Yes, all of our Health and Fitness Centres meet the accessibility requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The YMCA is committed to diversity and social inclusion, and to providing environments that are accessible for everyone. Reducing barriers to participation is extremely important to us, and we encourage you to contact your YMCA to tour our facilities and learn what equipment and programs we have to meet your individual needs.
Yes, your support person is more than welcome! Members with a disability can have another person accompany them in order to help with communication, mobility, personal care, or medical needs at no additional charge to the support person. The first time they visit the Y, your support person will need to present valid photo ID at the membership desk. Our staff will issue them a special pass that they can use to access our facilities with you.
Yes, a member with a disability is welcome to bring their service animal to the YMCA. Your service animal should be readily identified with visual indicators, such as a vest or harness.