Have questions about our health and fitness programs? We've got answers!
Interested in learning more about our membership adjustments at Oshawa, Brampton, Central, or Scarborough? Check out our other FAQ page.
Joining or visiting the Y
When you join a YMCA Health & Fitness Centre, you can participate in all the adult programs offered as often as you want. There may, however, be small additional fees for children and youth instructional programs, such as swimming lessons and martial arts. Take a look at our program schedules for more information.
- You can bring as many guests as you wish! The first time anyone visits the YMCA, they are provided with a complimentary pass.
- Adult members 16 years and older may purchase a guest pass. For a safe and enjoyable visit we ask that members accompany their guests during their visit and all guests leave valid photo identification with the Membership Desk.
You can buy a day pass at any one of our YMCA Health & Fitness Centres. That way, you'll be considered a member for the day and can participate in as many programs as you want.
- Cancellation requests must be received from you in writing (either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by signing a cancellation form in person at the centre).
- A minimum notice of 10 business days is needed to cancel your membership.
- Cancellations can’t be backdated and we do not issue refunds.
Our services and schedules
Absolutely! Many of our Centres offer a child minding service that lets you participate in a fitness program while we care for your children in a safe and fun environment.
Registered children's programs are cancelled on the following dates:
- Family Day: Monday, February 20 2017
- March Break: Monday, March 13 2017 – Sunday, March 19 2017. Lessons resume on Monday, March 20 2017.
- Good Friday: Friday, April 14 2017
- Victoria Day: Monday, May 22 2017
- Monday, June 26 2017 – Sunday, July 2 2017. Lessons resume on Monday, July 3 2017.
- Civic Holiday: Monday, August 7 2017
- Saturday, August 26 2017 – Friday, September 8 2017. Lessons resume on Saturday, September 9 2017.
- Thanksgiving: Monday, October 9 2017
Children's registered programs
At the beginning of your first class, we’ll ask a few questions to get a sense of what level your child would do best in. If needed, we’ll also do a quick skill assessment.
You’ll need to pack a bathing suit and towel for your child, and pool sandals or flip flops for everyone: you, your child, and anyone else attending the lessons, as shoes aren’t permitted on the pool deck. You can also bring goggles, a bathing cap, and a nose plug, but these items are optional. If your child is still in diapers, pull ups, or is recently toilet trained, they will need to wear a swim diaper.
There’s no need to invest in gear until you’re sure your child enjoys martial arts. For the first month, we recommend children wear comfortable clothing they can move in easily. They’ll be barefoot during the class, so if they opt for pants, make sure they’re not too long. Lastly, bring a water bottle labelled with your child’s name so they can hydrate during class.
You’ll need to pack comfortable clothes your child can move easily in, a pair of running shoes, and a water bottle labelled with your child’s name. There’s no need to bring anything else — we’ll supply all the equipment.
Once your child has changed, head to the program area where the class is scheduled. Wait with your child until the Program Coordinator checks in with you. You’ll then leave your child with their Program Instructor, and the class will begin. At the end of the class, the Program Instructor will meet you at a pre-determined area and you’ll sign your child out of the class.
Once you’ve dropped your child off and they’re with the Program Instructor, you can watch the class from designated viewing areas. Ask the Program Coordinator to show you where the viewing areas are.
If your child is unable to attend any of their lessons, there’s no need to call and let us know. If your child misses six consecutive classes, we’ll withdraw them from the program on your behalf. Please note that different policies are in place at three of our centres where we're piloting a new model for kids' Registered Programs: Central, Oshawa, and Brampton.
If you’d like to change the date or time of your child’s program, call the contact centre at 416-928-9622 or stop by the membership desk. A staff will update your child’s registration on your behalf. If there aren’t any available spaces in your preferred program, we’ll add you to its waitlist. When a space becomes available, we’ll send you an email.
Yes. The YMCA developed the first nationally recognized Fitness Leadership program in 1974 and continues to train Fitness Leaders today. By fostering relationship building, YMCA fitness programs create a positive atmosphere where members can achieve their personal goals.
Yes. If you have Kinesiology or Health & Fitness education you may be eligible to take our exams without attending training programs. To find out if you have the necessary qualifications, please call 1-800-223-8024 to inquire.
- 10 days or more before the course start date: you can receive a full refund, or transfer to a different course.
- 5 – 9 days before the course start date: you can receive a 50% refund, but transfers to other courses are not available.
- 0 – 4 days before the course start date: you are no longer eligible for refunds or transfers to other courses.
- Exceptions due to unforeseen circumstances (such as family emergencies) can be made at the discretion of the Program Manager/Senior Director.