Do meaningful work, give back to your community, and make a difference where it counts.
Be part of one of the most trusted charitable organizations in the world, and help us make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults and families.
About the YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity tackling the most critical social issues in the GTA. For over 165 years we have offered children, teens, young adults and families the opportunity for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Through child care services, education and training programs, employment and immigrant services, family and youth services and health and fitness programs, the YMCA is building healthy communities across the GTA.
Fill your potential by working or volunteering for the Y.
- A caring environment and a friendly and professional team.
- Meaningful opportunities to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities.
- A broad mix of people who bring diverse perspectives and talents.
- An interdisciplinary culture that allows staff and volunteers to explore different roles.
- Unlock your potential in a barrier free environment that values diversity and social inclusion.
Why work for the YMCA?
- Be part of an organization that has been a top employer for 8 consecutive years
- Opportunities to grow within the Y through a long term career
- A healthy work environment with comprehensive benefits and policies to help you maintain your health
- A generous vacation entitlement that increases with seniority
- A membership to our Health and Fitness facilities
- A generous dose of team spirit, respect for others, excellent work relations
- Work/life and family friendly policies and reduced child care fees (depending on availability and capacity) for full-time staff
- Opportunities to provide input and suggestions
- Formal job orientation and training
- Work specific training
- A job that is free from discrimination and harassment, as reflected in our Human Rights in the Workplace Policy
Why volunteer for the YMCA?
Volunteering is a core value in Canadian society, and at the YMCA our primary focus is the improved well-being of those who choose to volunteer their time to support our mission. We work to ensure our volunteers benefit from a wide-range of experience, and the benefits gained by volunteering which can include:
- Opportunities to express important values. The Y is a values-based charitable organization and helping others in your community can be very rewarding.
- Help improving your health and the health of your local community. Volunteering creates many positive health benefits, both physical and mental.
- Help teaching others or in learning new skills and accessing new opportunities.
- Gaining professional experiences or completing your high-school volunteer hours.
- Meeting new people and making new friends. Volunteering can build camaraderie and teamwork.
Our application and screening process
To ensure bias free hiring that complies with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Diversity and Social Inclusion and accepted human resource practices, we determine job candidate suitability by:
- Conducting an objective assessment of your skills, qualifications and experience against job related criteria outlined in job descriptions
- Conducting formal interviews for all positions
- Conducting formal interviews with questions designed to determine suitability for working with children or vulnerable people (in positions of trust)
- Conducting mandatory reference checks with two to three referees before a position is offered
- Carefully checking your credentials
- Asking you to submit a Police Records Check as a condition of employment for all positions
- Appointing employees to full-time positions only after they successfully complete a mandatory probation period