Getting a Police Records Check
At the YMCA of Greater Toronto, we are serious about our responsibility to protect the children and other vulnerable people who we serve. As part of this responsibility, we ask all our staff and volunteers to provide us with a current Police Records Check. Volunteers will receive instructions on obtaining the appropriate police records check when they are accepted into a volunteer role.
For individuals who are being hired for a YMCA position, there are two steps to get a Police Records Check:
- Before you can be hired at the YMCA, you need to visit your local police department and ask for a “Canadian Police Information Computer Centre” (CPIC) system record, e.g. a search of the RCMP data base. This record lists a person’s convictions. Depending on where you live, you may have to wait a few days or weeks to get it.
- Within four months of being hired by the YMCA and every three years thereafter, you are required to provide us with a second check called a “Local/Vulnerable Sector Screening”. This record provides an in-depth verification of a person’s past criminal record, and lists serious non-pardoned offences such as murder, rape, or sexual abuse.
By providing us with these Police Records Checks, you can help us confirm your suitability to work with YMCA members in a position of trust. You also help us ensure the safety and well-being of the people we serve. For more information about Police Records Checks related to employment at the YMCA, please contact email@example.com.
Local Police Departments
Here is a list of local police stations where you can get a Canadian Police Information Computer system record:
- 77 Centre St. North, Oshawa
- 480 Taunton Road East, Whitby
- 1710 Kingston Road, Pickering
- 1998 Regional Rd. 57, Bowmanville, ON
- 15765 Hwy. 12 (south of Reach Rd.), Port Perry, ON
- 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville
- 217 Guelph Street, Georgetown
- 490 Childs Drive, Milton
- 95 Oak Walk Drive, Oakville
- 3800 Southampton Blvd, Burlington
- 7750 Hurontario Street, Brampton
- For more information, please visit http://www.peelpolice.on.ca/en/services/vulnerableemploymentcheck.asp
- 40 College Street, Toronto
- For more information, please visit: http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/recordsmanagement/clearance.php
- 10720 Yonge Street, Richmond Hill
- For more information, please visit: http://www.yrp.ca/en/services/vulnerable-sector-check.asp
- 15924 Innis Lake Road, Caledon East