Become a Lifeguard, Swim Instructor, Personal Trainer, or Group Fitness Instructor.
After finishing our courses, you’ll be qualified to teach at the YMCA and many other organizations that recognize our well-established credentials. Our trainers will guide and support you as you gain the knowledge and skills that will help you become the best fitness leader you can be.
- Group Fitness Certification
- This nationally recognized certification gives you the credentials you need to teach Group Fitness classes like CardioFit, Bootcamp, AquaFit, and more.
- Courses are targeted to the type of class you want to teach: Choreography, Strength, Cycle, Aqua, or Yoga. We also have courses for volunteers to learn Arriba, Barre, MuscleFit and AquaFit – these classes are pre-choreographed so you can start teaching faster!
- All courses include an apprenticeship: you'll get to practice teaching under the guidance of an experienced mentor, ensuring you learn how to lead a safe, effective and top-notch class.
- Personal Training Certification
- Learn how to offer high-quality fitness advice and coaching to individuals or small groups.
- Aquatics Leadership: Bronze Star
- This course provides you with the strong foundation you need to succeed in Bronze Medallion.
- You'll develop problem-solving and decision-making skills as you work individually and with partners.
- You'll also learn CPR and develop the lifesaving skills needed to be a lifeguard.
- This course includes a timed 400 metre swim. No prerequisites required.
- Aquatics Leadership: Bronze Medallion
- You'll learn tows and carries, and defense methods and releases in preparation for challenging rescues of increased risk involving conscious and unconscious victims.
- Lifesavers develop stroke efficiency and endurance in a time 500 metre swim.
- You must be at least 13 years old to participate.
- Aquatics Leadership: Bronze Cross
- Designed for lifesavers who want more advanced training, including an introduction to safe supervision in aquatic facilities.
- Includes a timed 600 metre swim.
- Bronze Medallion and valid CPR-B plus Emergency First Aid are prerequisites.
- Aquatics Leadership: National Lifeguard (NL)
- National Lifeguard (NL) certification is the industry standard for lifeguards in Canada.
- NL guards are water rescue professionals trained in emergency care.
- Bronze Cross and valid Standard First Aid with CPR C are required.
- Must be 16 years old by the end of the course.
- Basic First Aid/CPR A
- Learn to deal with injuries and medical emergencies at home, work or play.
- Basic First Aid includes how to contact emergency medical services, rescue breathing, how to treat choking and minor injuries.
- Emergency First Aid/ CPR B
- Emergency First Aid is for people who want a general knowledge of first aid principles and the emergency treatment of injuries.
- Skills include: victim assessment, CPR, choking and what to do for external bleeding, heart attack and stroke.
- Includes CPR-B certification.
- Standard First Aid/CPR C
- Standard First Aid provides comprehensive training covering all aspects of first aid and CPR.
- Standard First Aid incorporates all of Emergency First Aid and is designed for those who require a more in-depth understanding of first aid including:
- Medical/legal aspects of first aid treatment
- Spinal injuries, heat or cold injuries, bone and joint injuries, abdominal and chest injuries, burns and medical emergencies.
- Includes CPR-C certification.
- Standard First Aid/CPR C (Recert)
- Current Standard First Aid (SFA) award holders may recertify their Lifesaving Society SFA certification just once on a Lifesaving Society SFA Recertification Course not more than 3 years from the Standard First Aid date of issue.
- To renew SFA certifications subsequently, award holders must repeat the full SFA Course.
- Thereafter, individuals may renew by alternating recertification and original courses.
Registration now open
Register for Fitness Certification programs by calling 1-800-223-8024 or visiting your local YMCA.
Have questions you want answered first? Read our FAQ.Find a Y