Practical guidance and support to get the right job for you.
From identifying opportunities to helping you write effective resumes and prepare for interviews, the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s wide range of employment services will help find the job that’s right for you.
Essential Skills and Employment Programs
Basic Culinary Skills
If you are interested in a career in the hospitality industry, the YMCA of Greater Toronto can help. We offer a unique 18-week program for people who receive social assistance. When you join our Hospitality Training Program, you will:
- Complete 96 hours of classroom training where you will learn how to build a team and basic First Aid. When you complete this course, you will receive your Communication Food Handlers Certification.
- Complete 375 hours of hands-on kitchen training where you will learn:
- Vegetable cutting
- Baking, and cooking techniques
- Attend food lab demonstrations to learn how to:
- Make soup and stock
- Cook meat and fish
- Prepare salads and dressing
- Prepare pies and cakes
Learning Opportunities Program
Do you need to improve your essential reading, writing, math and computer skills? The Learning Opportunities Program can set you on the path to employment, secondary school credit, post-secondary education, apprenticeships, and much more.
- small group learning sessions
- 1-to-1 tutoring
- a learning schedule tailor-made to your needs
- an e-learning option from home
Every year at the YMCA of Greater Toronto, we connect tens of thousands of job seekers to good quality jobs.
Our employment resource centres are open to all. Find one close to you, and call or drop in to check out our job postings and attend one of our workshops. We also offer free WiFi, use of computers for job searching or resume preparation, and photocopying.
If you would like to meet with one of our job consultants, you can book an appointment right now.
To learn more about YMCA Employment programs call 416-928-9622 or 1-800-223-8024 or visit your local YMCA Centre.
Build the skills you need to look for a job! Our workshops and events are designed to give you the tools and practical advice you need to find employment, including resume and cover letter creation, interview preparation, basic technical literacy skills, networking tips, and much more.
- Etobicoke Albion Rd. YMCA Centre workshops: Calendar (PDF)
- Mississauga City Centre YMCA Centre workshops: Calendar (PDF)
- North York Dufferin St. YMCA Centre workshops: Calendar (PDF)
- Pickering Kingston Rd. YMCA Centre workshops: Calendar (PDF)
- Richmond Hill Bayview Ave. YMCA Centre workshops: Calendar (PDF)
- Scarborough Finch Ave. YMCA Centre workshops: Calendar (PDF)
- Scarborough Milner Business Crt. YMCA workshops: Calendar (PDF)
- Whitby Garden St. YMCA Centre workshops: Calendar (PDF)
Employment Services are funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.