The call is urgent.
In order to make a real difference in the health of our communities, the YMCA of Greater Toronto is building 10 new YMCAs in neighbourhoods that need us most. We want to be there for more children, teens, adults and families who need our support.
These days too many community members are facing barriers to good health -- and the population of the GTA is expected to grow by more than 1 million people in the next 10 years. To ensure we can provide even more individuals with supportive YMCA programs and services, we need to act now.
The statistics are shocking:
- 1 in 5 young people in the GTA are overweight or obese
- 1 in 6 young people in the Toronto area can’t find work
- 19% of Canadian youth between 15 and 19 are not in education programs
- 1 in 5 children aged 17 and under in the Toronto area lives in a low-income household
- 4 in 10 young adults in the GTA report a weak sense of community belonging
The time to act is now.
Yes, the YMCA of Greater Toronto is a gym -- but we are also so much more. For more than 160 years, the YMCA of Greater Toronto has been helping people not only stay healthy and active, but also change their lives.
We need to invest today to impact the health of our communities and create a greater future for everyone living in the GTA.