Take part in unique learn-by-living experiences
YMCA Outdoor Education lets you learn by investigating, exploring, observing and experimenting. Discover the wonders of our natural environment by being a part of it.
- Choose from a wide range of curriculum-based programs year-round for grades three and up
- Customize a unique learning experience with our expert staff to complement your student’s classroom learning
- Guided activities for students to discover local animals, ecosystems, shelters, aboriginal culture, or orienteering
- YMCA Cedar Glen Outdoor Centre offers experiential workshops for Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) students. Students can work towards completing the certification component of their SHSM program through our workshops on:
- Effective Communication
- Customer Service
- Conflict Resolution
- Group Dynamics
- Leave No Trace Camping
- Map and Compass
- Work with one of our certified teachers on staff to plan your day or overnight SHSM workshop trip. In addition to an in-class session, our SHSM workshops can include group initiatives; the low ropes courses and our team challenge maze.
- In school programming: Let our team come to you and your students. With portable initiatives, educational activities and team building exercises we can bring our programs to your school.
- A strong focus on asset development, effective communication skills and developing strong teamwork amongst individuals
- Individualized programs tailored to each group’s needs; these can target specific attributes such as communication skills, problem solving, leadership, teamwork and trust
- Staff facilitate a variety of tasks encouraging large or small groups to work together, communicate and build interpersonal trust
- Initiatives occur indoors or outdoors, and are individually moulded to target the needs of each visiting group
- Participants of all ages gain the opportunity to develop an awareness of the world around them and the confidence to be comfortable in nature.
- Program options include:
- Map and compass orienteering;
- Shelter and fire building;
- Outdoor survival skills;
- Tree identification and animal tracking;
- Eco-caching, nature hikes, pond study, archery, natural arts;
- Canoeing and kayaking (Pine Crest only), mountain biking (Cedar Glen only), astronomy, and more
- Canoe trips can be one of the most transformative experiences a group will have together and a great way to promote teamwork and good communication
- Programs are designed specific for your group and all the gear, food and instruction for your trip are provided by our team at Pine Crest
- Learning about canoe trips and packing prior to departure
Outdoor Centre Inquiry Form
For additional information regarding Pine Crest, please call 1-877-878-9622 or 705-762-3377 or email email@example.com.
For additional information regarding Cedar Glen, please call 905-859-9622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information regarding Toronto Island, please call 905-859-9622 ext. 225 or email email@example.com.