Professional experience opportunities for young people
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a proud partner in supporting youth internship opportunities to provide unemployed or underemployed young people with essential skills and paid work experience.
Youth Eco Internship Program
The Youth Eco Internship Program (YEIP) gives professionals in the Eco/Green sector a chance to help youth with barriers to employment under the age of 30 build skills, develop confidence, and benefit from the guidance and support of a workplace mentor. Prior to their internships, the selected youth will participate in a 3 week pre-employment training, to help them gain essential tools needed to be successful in their internships. They will be compensated for their time during those 3 weeks.
Internships are full-time and practical, with broadly based assignments that help a motivated person develop transferable skills needed to be successful. The 12 week internship program provides a subsidy reimbursement of the respective province’s minimum wage, for 37.5 hours per week, plus 4% vacation pay as well as MERCs to eligible employers/host organizations. The ultimate objective is to help youth with barriers to education find permanent employment in the Green/Eco sector following this internship program.
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 (inclusive)
- Not a graduate of a post-secondary institution
- A Canadian citizen, or permanent resident or a protected person as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Unemployed or underemployed
- Not in receipt of employment insurance (EI) benefits
- Have been in operation for a minimum of 2 years
- Have a minimum of 5 full-time employees
- Provide proof of, WSIB (Worker’s Safety and Insurance Board) or equivalent, and a minimum of $2 million general liability insurance
- Must work in the Green/Eco Sector or contribute to environmental sustainability as an organization
Interns will placed with qualified employers in three cycles:
- Pre-employment: February 27th – March 17th
- Internship: March 20th – June 9th
- Pre-employment: March 27th – April 14th
- Internship: April 17th – July 7th
- Pre-employment: April 24th – May 12th
- Internship: May 15th – August 2nd
To learn more or apply to this program, please contact Jesse, Job Developer of the Youth Eco Internship Program at T: 416-928-3362 ext. 22629 F: 647-439-4502
YMCA Digital Skills Youth Internship Program
This program is now closed.
Funded by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).