School Age Play Partner
Open - Apply Now!
Posted Date: March 21, 2017
|Time CommitmentMinimum three months|
|Location(s)Various YMCA child care centres throughout the Halton, York, and Durham regions.|
Program DescriptionThe YMCA of Greater Toronto is the largest provider of quality child care in Canada for children from infancy to age 12. Our unique programming sets us apart from other providers in the GTA.
Will vary at each after school program location but can include components of the following:
- Assist leaders and children in developing fun, engaging and age appropriate activities.
- Utilize skills to plan, introduce and facilitate new activities with children.
- Assist in keeping program and storage areas safe and organized.
- Participate with program leaders and children in all program activities.
- Assist in maintaining a safe, FUN and engaging atmosphere through working with staff team and being a positive role model for all children.
- Ability to engage children in a variety of activities.
- Responsibility, reliability and commitment to their role.
- Minimum age 13.
- Volunteers age 16 and above will need to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening from their local police service before their first day of volunteering and every three years on the anniversary of their first day of volunteering.
- First Aid Certificate an asset.
- Medical and updated immunization records required.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills, teamwork and flexibility.
- A general understanding of child development.
- Adherence to YMCA A Place to Connect guidelines, Day Nursery Act procedures and YMCA policies and procedures.
- Gain experience working within a multi-service, charitable organization.
- Gain experience working with children aged 6-12, from various backgrounds and dimensions of diversity.
- Know that you are contributing to the positive, healthy development of children and youth.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all volunteers. The YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful opportunities to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Volunteers ensure the health, safety and well-being of all children, youth and vulnerable people in YMCA program. Volunteers commit to the professional responsibility of maintaining knowledge of legislation, policies and procedures, child and youth development and best practices to best serve and protect children, youth and vulnerable people. Volunteers understand the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan, Strong Start Great Future, calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy, and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come.