Green Roof Volunteer
Open - Apply Now!
Posted Date: August 02, 2017
|Time CommitmentThe green roof is open from April to October. Green Roof volunteer schedules vary throughout this time.|
|Location(s)Cooper Koo Cherry St Family YMCA, Markham Rudy Bratty YMCA|
The Green Roof’s success has been determined by volunteers. Whether it be the initial planting of the Green Roof to its continual maintenance; fundraising for its development or planning its programming; your community green roof operates because of a dedicated and hardworking group of volunteers.
- Set up, maintenance and take down of Green Roof.
- Planting and weeding garden.
- Outdoor cleanup of facilities.
- Contribute ideas on sustainability and how they can be implemented successfully at the YMCA.
- Minimal maintenance and watering on those extremely hot days.
- Be a positive, helpful and welcoming at all times.
- Build relationships with members and introduce them to other members, staff and volunteers.
- Deliver YMCA service responsibly, honestly, respectfully and with care.
- Minimum age 13.
- A positive and dependable work ethic.
- Opportunity to learn about the green initiatives that are taking place at the YMCA and in your community.
- Make a difference in the lives of the people at your centre and in your community by supporting green initiatives.
- Develop interpersonal and communication skills with members and other staff.
- Satisfaction that you will be a part of creating a more sustainable future.
- Learn about diversity at the YMCA and meet new people from all walks of life.
- Be a part of a YMCA team and promote the YMCA Mission, Vision and Values.
- Gain valuable Canadian experience.
How to apply
Complete the online volunteer application. You will need to provide the position title and location information of this position during step 3 of the application.
Looking for a Different Role?
Check out the full list of our volunteer opportunities.
Why Volunteer for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great place to volunteer through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all volunteers. The YMCA provides thousands of volunteers with meaningful opportunities to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Volunteers ensure the health, safety and well-being of all children, youth and vulnerable people in YMCA program. Volunteers commit to the professional responsibility of maintaining knowledge of legislation, policies and procedures, child and youth development and best practices to best serve and protect children, youth and vulnerable people. Volunteers understand the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan, Strong Start Great Future, calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy, and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come.