Part time Hourly Contract
Posted date: September 19, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: October 03, 2016|
|Employment TypePart Time|
|Reports toHealth & Fitness Programs Supervisor|
|Location / RegionToronto Cooper Koo Family Cherry Street YMCA Centre|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Cooper Koo Family Cherry Street YMCA Centre is one of nine full service health and fitness centres in the Greater Toronto Area that provides a variety of health, fitness, recreation and community programs. The centre offers these programs and services to 2,500 members and growing, including children, youth and adults who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
The Personal Trainer provides one-on-one specialized training in the form of personal training. This position may also provide program coverage when required in all areas of Individual Conditioning (Fitness Assessment, Small Group Program delivery, Individual Program Design, Free Weight and Conditioning Room Orientations, etc.) and assists in all Health and Fitness program areas ensuring that all members have a positive experience in a safe, friendly and welcoming environment.
- Delivers Personal Training sessions in a manner that is consistent with YMCA standards, mission, values, goals and practices, including Priority Sam Standards, of the YMCA of Greater Toronto are being met, while building positive relationships.
- Ensures that outstanding programs are provided for all members in a warm, friendly, clean and safe environment.
- Prepares and sets up program equipment/rooms and cleans and tidies up equipment/rooms after use, reporting any repairs to supervisor.
- Organizes and administers a case management approach in managing relationships with new members and ensures they are comfortable and successful in the program to assist them to achieve their personal health goals.
- Provides reports and additional information to supervisor when requested.
- Tracks client attendance.
- Manages client communication in a timely and professional manner, adhering to best practices as determined by YMCA policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with individual program members, program volunteers and YMCA program staff, assists and encourages program members to access additional appropriate programs offered at this location.
- Ensures appropriate policies and procedures are implemented and monitored to ensure safe and effective member and volunteer participation.
- Participates regularly in educational seminars/workshops to increase knowledge pertaining to the fitness and health industry.
- Provides support/assistance to delivery of Individual Conditioning Programs as required and the delivery of other programs as a substitute as required.
- Builds relationship with members and seeks opportunities to share the YMCA story and educates members and guests on the YMCA as a Charity.
- Actively participates in scheduled programs, meetings and special events.
- Ensures qualifications and certifications as required by the YMCA and regulatory standards are current at all times.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma in Health Education or equivalent an asset
- Certified Personal Trainer and/or YMCA Personal Training Certification (or equivalent)
- Previous experience in developing individual fitness programs and coaching individuals to achieve results
- Certified Fitness Consultant (CFC) preferred
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR required
- Ability to instruct various group fitness classes an asset
- Sales and/or customer service experience, preferably in a membership/client based environment an asset
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Ability to encourage and motivate members, and volunteers, acknowledge and appreciate achievements and contributions
- Flexibility regarding work schedules, including days, evenings and weekends
- The position requires the following Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Valuing Diversity & Social Inclusion.
How to apply
Please send résumé and cover letter quoting
job posting #816 by Monday, October 3, 2016 to:
Health & Fitness Programs Supervisor
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org