Instructor - Individual Conditioning
Part Time Hourly Contract
Posted date: September 19, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: October 03, 2016|
|Employment TypePart Time|
|Reports toHealth & Fitness Programs Supervisor|
|Location / RegionToronto Cooper Koo Family Cherry Street YMCA Centre|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Cooper Koo Family Cherry Street YMCA Centre is one of nine full service health and fitness centres in the Greater Toronto Area that provides a variety of health, fitness, recreation and community programs. The centre offers these programs and services to 2,500 members and growing, including children, youth and adults who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
Reporting to the H&F Programs Supervisor the Instructor Individual Conditioning provides direct leadership to a variety of group fitness programs. The position is responsible for ensuring service excellence and assists in the supervision and safe operation of these programs and spaces, ensuring the YMCA of Greater Toronto regulations, National YMCA standards, and SAM expectations are met.
- Provides direct program leadership to mYfitness appointments
- Administers a case management approach in managing relationships with new members and ensures they are comfortable and successful in the program to assist them to achieve their personal health goals
- Delivers programs in a manner in which the Mission, Vision, values, goals and practices, including Priority Sam Standards, of the YMCA of Greater Toronto are being met
- Develops a rapport with volunteer and other staff group fitness instructors, building positive relationships
- Ensures that outstanding programs are provided for all members in a warm, friendly, clean and safe environment; cleans group fitness equipment after each class and identifies maintenance and repairs to equipment required to supervisor
- Ensure that YMCA Group Fitness Best Practices (as outlined by Priority S.A.M.) are followed
- Takes attendance and/or records participation numbers when required
- Recruits and mentors volunteer instructors for the Group Fitness Program
- Participates on a staff team that is collaborative and supportive, and working with colleagues to ensure scheduled classes are delivered
- Actively participates in scheduled programs, meetings and special events.
- In collaboration with individual program members, program volunteers and YMCA program staff, assists and encourages members to access additional appropriate programs offered at this location.
- Ensures qualifications and certifications as required by the YMCA and regulatory standards are current at all times.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Models appropriate behaviours to staff in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours with staff and members. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Performs other related duties to fulfill commitment to quality programs for all members as assigned from time to time by supervisor
- Enrolled in or completion of a University or College program, majoring in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Recreation Leadership or related field preferred.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR C level C
- YMCA Group Fitness Leaders Certification an asset
- Enrolled in or completion of Personal Training certification an asset
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including days, evenings and weekends
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- The position requires the following Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Valuing Diversity & Social Inclusion.
How to apply
Please send résumé and cover letter quoting
job posting #817 by Monday, October 3, 2016 to:
Health & Fitness Programs Supervisor
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org