Representative Membership Sales and Service
Regular Part Time Hourly
Posted date: October 14, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: October 28, 2016|
|Employment TypePart Time|
|Reports toMembership Sales and Service Supervisor|
|Location / RegionToronto West End College Street YMCA|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Toronto West End College Street YMCA Centre is one of nine full service health and fitness centres across the Greater Toronto area. The Centre provides a full range of services and community programs to more than 6,000 members, including children, youth and adults, who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
The Membership Sales and Service Representative is part of a team that ensures all key indicators of sales and customer service are met and/or exceeded. The Membership Sales and Service team ensures all members and potential members receive excellent service and accurate information, leading to an improved experience as a member of the Toronto West End College Street YMCA Centre.
- Works towards and achieves personal and team sales targets. Models excellence in both sales and service. Performs duties of a Membership Sales Staff in an exemplary manner as required by work volumes and scheduling needs.
- Member focused at all times, prioritizes all responsibilities in order to seek opportunities to initiate conversations with members and prospective members.
- Works at a fast pace and responds to multiple priorities effectively.
- Handles membership enquiries by building rapport, asking probing questions to ascertain prospective member needs and interests and customizes tour of the facility to link member interests to program options.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of all programs and services available, resulting in tour conversions and membership registrations; Assists members to understand membership options, payment plans and types.
- Assists centre in reducing withdrawal numbers, reducing expiry numbers and maintaining high member retention by addressing member concerns quickly, effectively with a socially inclusive perspective and solution focused mindset.
- Provides a specific and personal focus to new members and follows up after tours to ensure they receive a welcome call, and are booked for relevant program training. Understands the Stages of Change and uses this knowledge to assist members in making a lifestyle change.
- Identifies additional fee-based programs and activities of potential interest to members leading to additional sales revenue (e.g. personal training, aquatics, day camp, etc.).
- Ensure accuracy when handling money and completing cash balancing. Protects the assets and information of the YMCA and its members.
- Maintains YMCA standards and is a positive role model for our Mission, Vision and Commitment to Service. Understands and demonstrates YMCA Priority S.A.M standards and EYE standards.
- Assists members in resolving past due accounts, member concerns, and members’ behavior as well as identifying options and referring potential qualified members to team leader/supervisor for membership assistance.
- Remains flexible in regards to scheduling needs and understands key times for the team including peak times of the day, days, weeks, seasonal changes and unexpected changes in member patterns.
- Actively participates in scheduled programs, meetings and special events.
- In collaboration with individual program members, program volunteers and YMCA program staff, assists and encourages program members to access additional appropriate programs offered at this location.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Provides leadership and support as a member of the Centres’ senior staff team. Acts as an effective AGM as required.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Some post secondary education in sales, marketing, promotions, retail management, or related field an asset
- Minimum of 2 years sales and/or customer service experience
- Previous experience in promotional sales including demonstrated skills in identifying potential customer needs and interests leading to successful up-sales, renewals, etc.
- Familiarity with personal member and payment info, including knowledge of privacy and protection requirements of such info
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Customer service oriented
- Good listening skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Volunteer experience an asset
- Proficiency with computers and experience with CLASS an asset
- Previous involvement in philanthropy, planning, storytelling, or volunteerism an asset
- Current CPR and First Aid an asset
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours, work schedule required; weekday and weekend closing shifts; specific immediate needs include weekend closing shifts until 12am.
- The position requires the following Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Valuing Diversity & Social Inclusion.
How to apply
Please send résumé and cover letter quoting
job posting #883 by Friday, October 28, 2016 to:
Membership Sales and Service Supervisor
Toronto West End College Street YMCA
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org