Senior Day Camp Director
Seasonal Fixed Term Contract
Posted date: November 25, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 09, 2016|
|EffectiveJanuary 21- Sept 1, 2017 (part time hours January 1 - May 26; full time hours May 29 - September 1)|
|HoursMust be available to work some evenings and weekends in the Spring, including an overnight in Muskoka, Sunday, June 4 – Wednesday, June 7, 2017|
|Reports toRegional Camp Director or Manager, Summer Camps|
|Location / RegionVarious YMCA Day Camp Regions: Brampton, York, Toronto, Halton, Durham/Scarborough, or Mississauga|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
YMCA Camping Services offer the highest quality Day Camp programs for more than 8000 children and youth in 51 locations across the Greater Toronto Area. YMCA Summer Day Camps offer numerous programs for 4-16 year olds that are safe, engaging, fun and contributing to the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s vision: Our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults.
The Senior Day Camp Director role provides leadership to all YMCA Summer Damp Camps and directly supports 4-5 Day Camp locations. Senior Day Camp Directors role is to ensure on-site Camp Directors are set up for success, are well supported in their role and able to operate safe and high quality day camp experiences for all campers and staff. Senior Day Camp Directors act as a liaison between the full-time team and on site directors, ensuring the successful day to day operations of the day camp, and contributing to the on-going success and growth of YMCA Summer Day Camp programs.
- Provides leadership to Day Camp staff by monitoring, coaching and mentoring seasonal camp staff as well as providing on-going feedback, as well as both mid-summer and end of summer appraisals to Day Camp Directors to ensure they are meeting the expectations of their role as well as their personal goals.
- Provides high-quality training to Day Camp Staff by working with the Day Camp Senior Leadership team to identify training and development needs, as well as creating and delivering day camp training to ensure our staff is well-prepared to support our campers.
- Ensures Health & Safety procedures are being followed and maintained; shares with the staff team the duties of ensuring all camps are kept clean, organized and safe to make certain we are meeting Health & Safety requirements.
- Ensures Camp Director administrative tasks are completed accurately and on-time including all paperwork associated with program scheduling, staff hiring, staff payroll, camper registration & attendance, parent communication, etc.
- Assists with camp promotion and strategic marketing which may include marketing in schools, at camp fairs and community events to ensure we meet camper targets numbers.
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth and fellow staff through embodying the values of the YMCA, following all YMCA day camp guidelines, YMCA policies and procedures, OCA standards, High 5 Standards, etc.
- Supports Campers having challenging experiences at Day Camp through visiting our day camp locations, meeting with staff, campers and camper families to problem solve when campers are not having a successful day camp experience.
- Responsible for Parent and Staff Communication, such as checking camp email and voicemail daily, responding to all parent inquiries in a courteous and prompt manner (within 24 hours) and that staff are kept informed of any changes in schedules, trainings, staff meetings, etc.
- Assists with purchasing requirements; works with Camp Directors and the Senior Leadership team to ensure camp program materials, office supplies, etc. are purchased and adequately stocked throughout the summer to ensure we are delivering high-quality camp programs.
- Achieves assigned budget; Monitors expenditures and ensures purchases are within camp budget; submits all receipts, invoices and LTMs are submitted weekly to the full-time Day Camps team.
- Ensures the delivery of successful, safe and high quality day camp programs by visiting day camp locations daily, observing and giving feedback on day camp programs, completing audits and communicating feedback to camp staff and directors to ensure all programs are meeting program out-comes.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education (or currently enrolled) in Education, Child and Youth Studies, Social Work, Recreation or related program preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a child-oriented programs
- Experience with YMCA Summer Day Camps preferred
- Experience supervising staff in a child-oriented situations; experience as a Day Camp Director an asset
- Able to demonstrate a high level of organization and effective communication
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” (St. Johns, Red Cross, Lifesaving Society or Ski Patrol)
- Must complete High Five ® Certification by May 26th, 2017
- Access to a motor vehicle and a valid driver’s license required for travelling to visit camp locations
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends in the Spring, including an overnight in Muskoka Sunday, June 4 – Wednesday, June 7, 2017
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé
quoting job posting #1039 by Friday, December 9, 2016 to:
Summer Day Camps Hiring Team
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org