Hospitality Programs Team Leader
Regular Full Time
Posted date: November 25, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 09, 2016|
|Employment TypeFull Time|
|PayStarting Salary: $42,346|
|Reports toDirector, Hospitality Programs|
|Location / RegionToronto John Street YMCA Centre|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
YMCA Employment and Community Programs operate a bustling large quantity-cooking kitchen at Metro Hall located at 55 John St. The kitchen serves a dual purpose to provide nutritious meals and snacks along with a training environment to those interested in working in the hospitality industry.
The Team Lead is a key part of the training program team, providing leadership and skills development to program members in culinary arts. The position also assists the team in preparing and providing a number of meals to internal and external partners, including Meals on Wheels, Second Harvest and YMCA trainings and events.
The Team Lead will provide leadership to the Café and Catering department, to ensure financial and contractual obligations are met, and to co-ordinate services and activities. The Team Lead will also support the ongoing training of participants in the Hospitality Training Program.
Provides leadership to assist team members to achieve results e.g. daily/monthly selling targets; customer satisfaction; etc.
Provides on-going coaching and development of program staff, including managing performance and schedules of staff.
Assists with co-ordination of training for team members.
Contributes to achievement of contractual obligations and Association Standards being met or exceeded.
Assists Director in the development and implementation of yearly program plans.
Provide support to the Director in development, monitoring and oversight of the program budgets.
Ensures marketing, promotions and outreach activities take place in order to achieve targets.
Manages administration of billing and tracking participants using funder database.
Provides ongoing program, reporting and tracking targets on weekly and monthly basis.
Assists Director with HR, operational and policy issues; assists Director with employer and member concerns with sensitivity.
Liaises with other Team Leaders and program staff in the centre and the Association.
Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner
Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
Other duties as assigned
- Completion of Red Seal Certification (Cook)
- Completion of Food Handlers Certification (current)
- Minimum of 10 - 15 years commercial experience in small and large quantity food preparation
- Previous experience in culinary skills Instruction/teaching preferred
- Certification in WHMIS and First Aid an asset
- Basic computer proficiency in Word and Excel
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members including participants, staff and volunteers; excellent written communication skills.
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- The position requires the following Core Association and Leadership Competencies: advanced competence in: Valuing Diversity and Social Inclusion; fundamental competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; Relationship Building and Partnering; Ethics and Self-Management; Teamwork and Collaboration; being Results Focused; Association Management and Stewardship; Building Community Relationships and Resources; Cross Functional Integration; Leadership; People Management; Planning and Initiative; Strategic Orientation and Change Management.
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé along with salary expectations quoting
job posting #1035 by Friday, December 9, 2016 to:
55 John Street, Metro Hall
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org