Food Services Team Member
Seasonal Contract - Spring Season
Posted date: November 25, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 09, 2016|
|EffectiveApril 24, 2017|
|HoursFlexibility regarding assigned working hours, including days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays required|
|Reports toFood Services Team Leader|
|Location / RegionYMCA Camp Pine Crest, Torrance, ON|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
YMCA Camping and Outdoor Education programs offer the highest quality programs for children, youth, and adults through a variety of safe and fun activities supervised by qualified and energetic staff. All our camping and outdoor education programs promote personal growth and development with a focus on the YMCA core values of respect, responsibility, inclusiveness, caring, honesty, and health.
YMCA Camp Pine Crest is located in Muskoka, Ontario. It is a year round operating facility with a large traditional summer camp program, growing Winter programs and busy Spring and Fall Outdoor Centre seasons.
Food Services staff are required to work as a team. All staff will play an important role of planning, preparing and presenting the meals for outdoor centre clients. Staff are responsible for maintaining a clean and healthy kitchen in accordance with the Ministry of Health. Food Services staff will also be responsible for working with the program team to ensure a relationship of open communication within the camp. All kitchen staff are supported and supervised by Food Services Team Leader.
Room and board provided for the duration of the contract.
- Continuously builds relationships with members, staff, volunteers and community partners.
- Under the supervision of the Food Services Supervisor prepare meals for outdoor centre clients and staff, including 2 meals daily, sauces, dressings, salad bar, baked goods and snacks.
- Understand and work with a variety of participant dietary needs such as vegetarian, vegan, celiac, halal, dairy allergies, etc.
- Ensures a high level of quality, cleanliness and safety in all food preparation; follows safe food handling and sanitary procedures.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in cook/hospitality role is an asset
- Experience working with food allergies and dietary restrictions an asset
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset
- Ability to work effectively with others and independently to achieve optimal collective results
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” required
- Food Safe certification preferred
- Flexibility regarding assigned working hours, including days, evenings, overnights, weekends and holidays required
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: fundamental competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; Ethics and Self-Management; being Member Focused; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Valuing Diversity and Social Inclusion
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé quoting
job posting #1033 by Friday, December 9, 2016 to:
Food Services Supervisor
YMCA Camp Pine Crest
1090 Gullwing Lake Road
Torrance, Ontario, P0C 1M0
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org