HF Programs Specialist - IC (Individual Conditioning)
Salaried Full Time Contract
Posted date: November 24, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 07, 2016|
|Employment TypeFull Time|
|PayStarting Salary: $37,900|
|HoursFlexibility regarding assigned hours of work, particularly early mornings, as well as evenings and weekends|
|Reports toHealth & Fitness Programs Supervisor|
|Location / RegionToronto West End College St. YMCA|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Toronto West End College St. YMCA Centre is one of nine full service health and fitness centres across the Greater Toronto area. The Centre provides a full range of services and community programs to more than 11,000 members, including children, youth and adults, who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
Reporting to the Health and Fitness Program Manager, the Programs Specialist (Individual Conditioning) provides direct leadership in our initiatives to provide a superior experience to our members. Implementing our Member Insight Strategy and using our Membership Involvement Model, the Programs Specialist identifies initiatives to increase Membership on Roll, Retention, Satisfaction, and Philanthropic contributions in the membership plus areas, and assists with a specific project or portion of the department functions.
- Conducts Fitness and Lifestyle Appraisals, prescribe exercise routines and follow up to assist members to achieve their personal fitness goals.
- Organizes and administers a case management system, providing individual attention to members.
- Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates processes and systems impacting the experience of members in the conditioning room and surrounding areas.
- Recruits, coaches and develops a team of individuals that will provide superior service and will build relationships with members in the conditioning room and surrounding areas.
- Builds relationship with members and seeks opportunities to share the YMCA story. Educates members and guests on the YMCA as a Charity.
- Assists the Director in development and management of departmental budgets and achieves all performance indicators and standards including those related to MOR, retention and YMCA Priority Sam standards
- Delivers Basic Theory and Individual Conditioning Components plus assists in apprenticeship of YMCA Fitness Leadership Program.
- Provides leadership and support as a member of the Centres’ senior staff team. Acts as an effective Service Leader and Acting General Manager as required.
- Participates in task groups, special assignments and opportunities that further the Association mission, vision and strategic initiatives including the Core Service Functional Group.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or Degree in Recreation Leadership, Kinesiology, Physical Education or related field preferred.
- Previous experience in development and implementation of new programs an asset.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills developed through progressively responsible experience in a supervisory role in group fitness programs; ability to encourage, motivate staff and volunteers, acknowledge and appreciate contributions.
- Personal Trainer Certification (i.e. CPTN, ACE, etc.)
- Certified Fitness Consultant (CFC) an asset
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR required
- Proficiency with computer software including Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including days, evenings and weekend.
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers; excellent written communication skills.
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity.
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: Advanced competence in: Relationship Building and Partnering; Effective Interpersonal Communications; Ethics & Self Management; Being Member Focused; Being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Diversity and Social Inclusion
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé quoting
job posting #1029 by Wednesday, December 7, 2016 to:
Health and Fitness Programs Senior Director
Toronto West End College St. YMCA
931 College St.
Toronto, ON M6H 1A1
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org