Full Time Salaried Contract
Posted date: November 24, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 07, 2016|
|Employment TypeFull Time|
|PayStarting Salary: $30,000|
|Reports toProgram Team Leader|
|Location / RegionLanguage Assessment and Referral Centre, Toronto Central Grosvenor St. YMCA Centre|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
YMCA Employment and Community Programs provide a variety of employment, counselling, outreach, intervention, training and newcomer programs to youth and adults throughout the GTA. The YMCA Language Assessment and Referral Centre functions as the first step of the language training pathway for immigrants to Canada. All immigrants wishing to access language classes funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration need to undergo an assessment at the language assessment centre.
The Administrative Representative is part of a diverse team helping newcomers receive language assessment and referral services. The Administrative Representative welcomes and provides excellent customer service to clients. The position requires administrative support including booking client appointments, providing general clerical support; and supporting senior staff with statistical reports. The Administrative Representative provides translation/interpretation when needed; assisting newcomers make a smooth transition into Canada.
- Greets members with a warm and welcoming approach, assists them with the intake process; provides translation/interpretation when needed
- Answers telephone inquiries and directs incoming calls appropriately
- Provides members with an orientation to all services available at the Centre
- Performs data retrieval, ensuring the data is complete and accurate; provides support in program statistical reports
- Assists in verifying eligibility for language assessment and identifying client needs
- Manages appointment schedule and communicates client arrivals with language assessment team
- Performs various administrative support duties such as keeping inventory of office supplies; mailing, faxing and photocopying as required
- Provides support to volunteer development
- Models appropriate behaviours to staff in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours with staff and members. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism and imparts this knowledge and belief upon staff, volunteers and members.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services
- Other related duties as required.
- Completion of some post-secondary courses in related field
- Previous administrative/clerical work experience or other relevant experience
- Knowledge of settlement services and community information resources an asset
- Experience and sensitivity dealing with members, staff and volunteers of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Proficient with personal computer applications, e.g. Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, and Internet search engines
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, community partners, staff and volunteers; excellent written communication skills.
- Flexibility regarding assigned locations and working hours able to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to communicate in Arabic is an asset
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: superior competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communication; advanced competence in: Ethics & Self Management; being Member Focused; Valuing Diversity & Social Inclusion; fundamental competence in: Relationship Building & Partnering; being Results Focused; Teamwork & Collaboration
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé along with salary expectations quoting
job posting # 1022 by Wednesday, December 7, 2016 to:
Team Leader, Language Assessment and Referral Centre
20 Grosvenor Street, 3rd Floor,
Toronto ON M4Y 2V5
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org