Registered Early Childhood Educator
Full Time Salaried Contract
Posted date: November 29, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 06, 2016|
|Employment TypeFull Time|
|EffectiveDecember 2016 –June 2017|
|HoursMust be available to work between the hours of 7:00am – 6:00pm|
|Reports toDirector, Child Care|
|Location / RegionMississauga Williamsport YMCA Child Care Centre|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
For over 40 years, YMCA Child & Family Development has provided quality child care in the GTA and is the largest not-for-profit provider of Licensed Child Care in Canada. With more than 200 locations in child care centres, we offer a variety of programs: before and after school, nursery, full day early learning kindergarten extended day, school age, and family resource for children aged 0-12 years of age.
The contribution of our staff in the delivery of child-centred programs is at the core of our success as a leader in early childhood education. We are committed to providing staff with the opportunity to further develop their knowledge and skills that will assist them in enhancing the experience of children and families, through our YMCA Playing to Learn and YMCA A Place to Connect curriculums.
The YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum for 0-6 year olds, endorsed by the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, helps children develop and grow by using play as a way to learn. This method gives our early childhood educators insight into how kids learn and we use that insight to build a dynamic in-class environment to meet the specific needs of the child and ensure the child’s interests help shape their learning experience.
The YMCA A Place to Connect curriculum for 6-12 year olds in YMCA Before and After School programs provides staff with the knowledge and skills to act as a mentor towards the children and helps them develop life skills. This curriculum also helps shape YMCA Day Camps, Summer Club and Residential Camps.
- Ensures all children and youth programs provide quality care, service and support to the participants and their families.
- Understands and complies with provincial, municipal and YMCA Child Guidance Policies.
- Plans and implements a consistent child-centred program in accordance with YMCA curriculums Playing to Learn and A Place to Connect.
- Attends required curriculum training and all other relevant professional development opportunities necessary for the position. Maintains qualifications and certifications as required by the YMCA and provincial standards.
- Completes required documentation of children’s development and interactions.
- Participates in and applies knowledge from research to children's learning.
- Identifies the indicators of abuse and is prepared to report signs of child abuse to the Children’s Aid Society.
- Seeks opportunities to deepen connections and increase engagement of parents and children in care, providing further opportunities to get involved in other YMCA Programs.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Adheres to work schedule to ensure program stays within ratio and provides required adequate notice to supervisor regarding unexpected scheduling changes.
- Understands and supports YMCA philanthropic commitments, connects with families and offers opportunities to give, either financially or their personal time, including participation in special events within the centre and the community.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé quoting
job posting #898 by Tuesday, December 6, 2016 to:
ATTENTION: CFD Talent Acquisition
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org