Team Member - Cleaning
Part Time Hourly Contract
Posted date: December 01, 2016
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 15, 2016|
|Employment TypePart Time|
|Reports toHousekeeping Supervisor|
|Location / RegionMarkham YMCA Bld. Rudy Bratty YMCA Centre|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Markham YMCA Bld. Rudy Bratty YMCA Centre provides a variety of health, fitness, recreation and community programs to approximately 10,000 members, including children, youth and adults who represent the diversity of Markham and its communities.
The Team Member Cleaning is responsible for ensuring that the locker rooms and amenities meet the needs of the diverse groups and members utilizing the Centre. This includes maintaining a comfortable environment by undertaking the light duty cleaning, to ensure that the facility provides superior service to members and contributes to the goal of enhancing the health and well being of all members. The Team Member Service uses communication and customer service skills to ensure the satisfaction of members is exceeded and quality targets are achieved.
- Performs all light duty cleaning, project cleaning, general cleaning and to keep cleaning equipment clean and good repair all the time.
- Dusts, sweeps, washes and mops floors, shower walls and ceilings, lockers, counter tops vanities, washbasins, toilets, saunas, railings, glazing and windows.
- Vacuums carpets and upholstery, replenishes toiletry, body soap, removes garbage from various areas and disposes into the bin.
- Performs laundry related duties, including collection of used towels, loading and unloading of laundry machines, folding towels and replenishing towel at the service desks.
- Ensures the safety of all members, property and self by following established Workplace Health & Safety practices and procedures.
- Provides a high standard of Customer Service to all members as per SAM standards and other guidelines set from time to time. Adheres to all YMCA of Greater Toronto policies.
- Actively participates in scheduled programs, meetings and special events.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of one year “hands-on” cleaning experience in a commercial establishment
- Minor knowledge of general cleaning and basic maintenance such as changing bulbs, patching dry wall and painting, etc. is an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Ability to communicate in writing and understand directions
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Ability to reach and lift wet laundry from wash machines and push towel bins
- Physical stamina to walk throughout a large building to dust sweep and wash floors
- Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA
- Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness
- WHIMIS training and Standard First Aid an asset
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment
- Flexibility regarding assigned work schedule, including days, evenings and weekends
- The position requires the following Association Competencies: fundamental competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; Ethics and Self-Management; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Valuing Diversity & Social Inclusion.
How to apply
Please send résumé and cover letter quoting
job posting # 1052 by Thursday December 15, 2016 to:
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org