Health & Fitness Programs Specialist (Personal Training)
80% Salaried Full Time Contract (6 Months)
Posted date: February 12, 2018
|Position vacancy Closing date: February 26, 2018|
|Employment TypeFull Time|
|HoursFlexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including days, evenings and weekend|
|Reports toHealth and Fitness Programs Director|
|Location / RegionToronto Sheppard Avenue YMCA Centre|
|Application DeadlineFebruary 26, 2018|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Toronto Sheppard Avenue YMCA Centre is one of nine full service health and fitness centres in the Greater Toronto Area that provides a variety of health, fitness, recreation and community programs. The centre offers these programs and services to 11,000 members including children, youth and adults who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
Reporting to the Health and Fitness Programs Director, the Programs Specialist (Personal Training) provides direct leadership in our initiatives to provide a superior experience to our members. Implementing our Personal Training Program, Member Insight Strategy and using our Membership Involvement Model, the Programs Specialist implements initiatives to increase client base, improve retention and enhance satisfaction of the Personal Training program. In addition, the Specialist provides Personal and Small Group Training to clients.
- Conducts Personal Training consultations from online requests and in-person opportunities; is knowledgeable about Personal Training programs and the Personal Training team in order to facilitate the best match between Trainer and client
- Recruits and follows up with new and existing clients based on the PT Client Experience flow – supporting clients in each stage
- Manages client and potential client communication in a timely and professional manner, adhering to best practices as determined by YMCA policies and procedures
- Liaises with Personal Training supervisor regarding client feedback
- Delivers Personal Training sessions in small group and one-on-one formats in a manner that is consistent with YMCA standards, mission, values, goals and practices, including Priority Sam Standards
- Utilizes systems and technologies available in the YMCA in the delivery of Personal Training and tracks required information; Provides reports and additional information to supervisor when requested
- Prepares and sets up program equipment/rooms and cleans and tidies up equipment/rooms after use, reporting any repairs required in accordance to procedure
- Is knowledgeable about, and promotes, Centre or Association member engagement initiatives to existing PT clients through email, phone calls and face-to-face meetings
- Assists and encourages members to access additional appropriate programs offered at this location.
- Participates in task groups, special assignments and opportunities that further the Association mission, vision and strategic initiatives; connects with community and external organizations, and other YMCAs to participate in a community of practice for personal training fitness program development, measurement and design
- Builds relationship with members and seeks opportunities to share the YMCA story and educates members and guests on the YMCA as a Charity
- Ensures qualifications and certifications as required by the YMCA and regulatory standards are current at all times
- Provides leadership and support as a member of the Centres’ senior staff team; Acts as an effective Service Leader as required
- Actively participates in scheduled trainings, meetings and special events.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff; assists with ensuring volunteers have a fulfilling YMCA experience through proper mentorship and coaching
- Performs other related duties to fulfill commitment to quality programs for all members as assigned from time to time by supervisor.
- Certified Personal Trainer and/or YMCA Personal Training Certification (or equivalent)
- Degree or Diploma in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Fitness and Lifestyle Management, or similar an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in delivering personal training and small group fitness programs
- Experience in sales of Personal Training or other services.
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR C required
- Proficiency with computer software including Excel, Outlook, etc. required
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity.
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including days, evenings and weekend.
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: Advanced competence in: Relationship Building and Partnering; Effective Interpersonal Communications; Ethics & Self Management; Being Member Focused; Being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Diversity and Social Inclusion
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org