Regular Salaried Full Time
Posted date: February 07, 2018
|Position vacancy Closing date: March 09, 2018|
|Employment TypeFull Time|
|PaySalary Range: $33,445 - $40,134|
|Reports toFacility Manager|
|Location / RegionMississauga Burnhamthorpe Rd. YMCA Centre|
|Application DeadlineMarch 09, 2018|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Mississauga Burnhamthorpe Rd. YMCA is one of nine full service health and fitness centres in the Greater Toronto Area that provides a variety of health, fitness, and recreation and community programs. The centre offers these programs and services to 8,000 members and growing, including children, youth and adults who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
The Maintenance Worker provides a high standard of building maintenance, providing quality experiences and ensuring the safety of members. Working as an integral part of the centre staff team in relationship building and connecting with members, ensures excellent member relations and rapport in day to day interactions. All YMCA employees play a critical role in taking the opportunity to interact and involve all members and maintain a high level of professionalism.
Undertakes preventative maintenance and repairs to building equipment and responds to work orders including painting and drywall, HVAC Equipment, fire safety and emergency equipment, locker maintenance, floor surfacing, plumbing repairs etc., and takes appropriate action to rectify any problem, including coordinating third party contractors.
Ensures the safe and continual operation of the pools, whirlpools, saunas and steam rooms; including related equipment, chemicals and cleanliness as required by relevant legislation, taking appropriate action relating to repairs.
Performs light duty cleaning, project cleaning, general cleaning and laundry service.
Ensures the safety of all members, property and self by following established Workplace Health & Safety practices and procedures and adheres to all YMCA of Greater Toronto policies and Priority SAM cleaning and maintenance standards.
Performs building and equipment repairs as required. Contacts contractors as required and provides supervision of, while repairs are being performed.
Responds to all emergencies in the facility and reports any and all maintenance issues to the Manager, Facility. Functions as building operator in the absence of Facility Supervisor / Manager.
Performs opening and/or closing centre coverage and Manager on Duty coverage and responds to requests for assistance during on-call duty period as required.
Assists with materials management relating to building supplies, ensuring inventory levels are adequate and materials are ordered and replaced as required.
Provides leadership and support as a member of the center’s senior staff team. Acts as an effective AGM as required.
Actively participates in scheduled programs, meetings and special events.
Ensures appropriate policies and procedures are implemented and monitored to ensure safe and effective member and volunteer participation
Builds relationship with members and seeks opportunities to share the YMCA story and educates members and guests on the YMCA as a Charity.
Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
Understands and supports YMCA philanthropic commitments, connects with families and offers opportunities to give, either financially or their personal time, including participation in special events within the centre and the community.
Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with staff, volunteers and members.
Performs other related duties to fulfill commitment to quality service for all members as assigned from time to time by supervisor.
- High School education
- Completion of courses offered as part of the Building Operator Certificate an asset; willingness to increase knowledge and skills in this area
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR level C an asset
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in skilled trades and/or building maintenance, experience and aptitude in multiple areas:
- Operating Engineering/Pneumatics
- Mechanical HVAC
- Pool filtration/water chemistry
- Experience in pool operation an asset; Pool Operator Certificate preferred (certification must be obtained within first three months)
- WHMIS and related health and safety training an asset
- Computer Skills an asset; Computerized facility management applications an asset
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Takes the opportunity to be involved in partnerships and collaborations; team player
- Ability to work in a fast paced physically demanding environment
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Flexibility regarding work schedule including days, evenings and weekends.
- The position requires the following Core Association Competencies: Fundamental competence in effective interpersonal communications; ethics & self management, being member focused; relationship building and partnering; in being results focused, teamwork and collaboration; in diversity and social inclusion
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org