Day Camp Program Coordinator
Seasonal Fixed Term Contract
Posted date: December 11, 2017
|Position vacancy Closing date: January 19, 2018|
|PayStarting Rate: $17/hour until May 21, then $18.50/hour|
|EffectiveFebruary 10 – August 30, 2018|
|HoursPart-time hours: February 10 – May 31; Full-time hours June 3 – August 30, 2018|
|Reports toRegional Camp Director and Camp Manager|
|Location / RegionToronto/York Region, Peel Region - DayCamp2018|
|Application DeadlineJanuary 19, 2018|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
YMCA Camping Services offer the highest quality Day Camp programs for more than 8000 children and youth in 46 locations across the Greater Toronto Area. YMCA Summer Day Camps offer numerous programs for 4-16 year olds that are safe, engaging, fun and contributing to the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s vision: Our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults.
The Day Camp Program Coordinator provides leadership to Day Camp Program Quality and Integrity across their regions (6 - 11 Day Camp locations). They will play a vital role in the set-up, training and support of Day Camp programs at all YMCAGTA Day Camps. The successful candidate must be a team player, driven and self-motivated, well organized, have excellent communication skills and committed to a high level of customer service.
- Develops high-quality Day Camp Programs by working with the Day Camp Senior Leadership team to identify new programs and update current program offerings and development manuals to support new programs.
- Develops and implements high-quality Program Training to Day Camp Staff by working with the Day Camp Senior Leadership team to identify training and development needs, as well as supporting in the delivery of Program Specific Staff Training.
- Assists in the development of new Online Training tools by working with regional Manager and Training Team to identify relevant training videos for staff reference library.
- Assists with purchasing program supplies by working with Regional Managers/Directors/Senior Directors to ensure all program and safety supplies associated with the programs are purchased and adequately stocked prior to and throughout the summer to ensure our programs are high quality and safe.
- Supports Senior Directors to ensure they are meeting the expectations of their role through visiting camp locations, providing feedback and support, ensuring all paperwork associated with program feedback is kept up to date and well organized, communicating any performance challenges to Camp Directors to ensure we are providing our families with a high level of customer service.
- Achieves assigned budget; monitors expenditures and ensures purchases are within camp budget; submits all receipts and invoices to Day Camp Administrative Coordinator on a weekly basis to ensure they are processed in a timely manner.
- Ensures administrative tasks are completed accurately and on-time including all paperwork associated with the YMCA Day Camp Program Audits, LTM’s and Visa reconciliation.
- Assists with camp promotion and marketing which may include marketing at schools through recess programs, at camp fairs and community events to help achieve our camper target numbers.
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth and fellow staff through embodying the values of the YMCA, following all YMCA day camp guidelines, YMCA policies and procedures, OCA standards, High 5 Standards and ensures all YMCA Aquatics and Lifesaving Society standards are being met.
- Ensures all non-YMCA operated pools are set up prior to Camp starting by working with each Camp location’s Aquatic Team Leader and/or Head Guard to ensure all paperwork and safety equipment required to meet YMCA of Greater Toronto regulations, as well as provincial standards, is completed and on-site prior to camp starting in preparation for the pre-camp Audit.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education (or currently enrolled in) child and youth related program preferred
- Experience working in a Day Camp setting (experience with YMCA Summer Camps an asset)
- Experience working in Program Development and training
- Excellent multi-tasking, organizational skills and attention to detail required
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Completed and current specialized Certifications must include:
- High Five - Healthy Child Development (by June 3)
- Standard First Aid & CPR “C” (St. Johns, Red Cross, Lifesaving Society or Ski Patrol)
- Current WHMIS certification an asset
- Access to a motor vehicle and a valid driver’s license required for travelling to visit camp locations
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends throughout the contract
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends in the Spring, including an overnight in Muskoka Sunday, June 3 – Wednesday, June 6, 2018
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé
quoting job posting #770 by Friday, January 19, 2018
Please state the CAMP LOCATION(S) you are applying to in your COVER LETTER and if applying to more than one location, please send in only one application and list the camp locations in your cover letter.
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org