Day Camp Director
Seasonal Fixed Term Contract
Posted date: December 11, 2017
|Position vacancy Closing date: January 19, 2018|
|PayStarting Rate: $15.50/hour until May 21, then $17.00/ hour|
|EffectiveFebruary 10 – August 30, 2018|
|HoursPart-time hours: February 10 – May 18; Full-time hours May 22 – August 30, 2018|
|Reports toSenior Director, Day Camps|
|Location / RegionVarious YMCA GTA Day Camp Locations - DayCamp2018|
|Application DeadlineJanuary 19, 2018|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
YMCA Camping Services offer the highest quality Day Camp programs for more than 8000 children and youth in 46 locations across the Greater Toronto Area. YMCA Summer Day Camps offer numerous programs for 4-16 year olds that are safe, engaging, fun and contributing to the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s vision: Our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults.
The Day Camp Director role provides on-site leadership and support to all campers and staff. The Camp Director is responsible for ensuring the successful day-to-day operations of the day camp and that all children, youth and staff have a safe and positive camp experience leading to personal growth and leadership opportunities.
- Supervisory duties including hiring a child-focused, well-balanced, qualified and dedicated staff team ensuring they meet the minimum requirements of their role prior to starting their contact start date.
- Provides leadership to camp staff team by monitoring, coaching and mentoring staff as well as providing on-going feedback to staff, and a mid-summer appraisal to direct reports to ensure they are meeting the expectations of their role as well as personal goals.
- Responsible for attending all staff trainings and Director Meetings; to ensure they are confident in delivering on-site day camp trainings to their camp staff team.
- Ensures Health & Safety procedures are being followed and maintained; shares with the staff team the duties of ensuring the camp site is clean, organized and safe to make certain we are meeting Health & Safety requirements
- Ensures administrative tasks are completed accurately and on-time including all paperwork associated with hiring, payroll, staff scheduling, camper attendance and automated phone calls, parent communication, YMCA visa reconciling etc.
- Assists with camp promotion and strategic marketing which may include marketing in schools, at camp fairs and community events to ensure we reach our camper targets.
- Supports program heads and counselors with program planning and ensuring programs are in line with camp objectives and following weekly camp themes. Monitors the delivery of safe, high quality day camp programs by ensuring program modules are being followed and programs are engaging, creative and fun.
- Responsible for Parent and Staff Communication, such as checking camp email and voicemail daily, responding to all parent inquiries in a courteous and prompt manner (within 24 hours) and that staff are kept informed of any changes in schedule, staff meetings, etc; Relays any performance issues and/or parent complaints to supervisors to ensure they are being followed up on.
- Assists with purchasing requirements; works with the Senior Director to ensure camp program materials, office supplies, etc. are purchased and adequately stocked throughout the summer to ensure we are delivering high quality camp programs.
- Achieves assigned budget; Monitors expenditures and ensures purchases are within camp budget; submits all receipts and invoices to Senior Director weekly.
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth and fellow staff through embodying the values of the YMCA, following all YMCA day camp guidelines, YMCA policies and procedures, OCA standards, High 5 Standards.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education (or currently enrolled) in Education, Child and Youth Studies, Recreation or related program preferred
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a child-oriented programs; experience as a Supervisor an asset
- Experience with YMCA Summer Day Camps an asset
- Experience with conflict management and scheduling preferred
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” (St. Johns, Red Cross, Lifesaving Society or Ski Patrol)
- Must complete High Five® Certification by May 29, 2018
- National Lifeguarding Society (NLS) certification an asset but not mandatory
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends in the Spring, including an overnight in Muskoka Sunday, June 3 – Wednesday, June 6, 2018
How to apply
Please send cover letter and résumé
quoting job posting #762 by Friday, January 19, 2018
Please state the CAMP LOCATION(S) you are applying to in your COVER LETTER and if applying to more than one location, please send in only one application and list the camp locations in your cover letter.
Milton EC Drury YMCA
Mississauga Meadowvale YMCA
Toronto Kew Beach YMCA
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org