Instructor Youth Leadership Development Program
Part Time Hourly Contract
Posted date: December 07, 2017
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 21, 2017|
|Employment TypePart Time|
|Reports toHealth & Fitness Programs Supervisor|
|Location / RegionToronto Sheppard Avenue YMCA Centre|
|Application DeadlineDecember 21, 2017|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Toronto Sheppard Ave. YMCA Centre is one of nine full service health and fitness centres in the Greater Toronto Area that provides a variety of health, fitness, recreation and community programs. The centre offers these programs and services to 13,000 members, including children, youth and adults who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
The Instructor Youth Leadership Development Program teaches positive youth development using YMCA Healthy Adolescent Development principles, curriculum and resources. Instructors develop short and long term lesson plans that identify the unique needs of the participants. Instructors maintain a safe and supportive environment at all times.
- Coordinates direct program delivery of all Youth Leadership Development program staff and volunteers with a focus on building and facilitating participant relationships.
- Ensures that all Youth Leadership Development programming/activities are intentionally designed to achieve identified youth outcomes.
- Responsible for the weekly planning, organizing, promotion, partnerships development and delivery of curriculum.
- Ensures appropriate policies and procedures are implemented and monitored to ensure safe and effective participant and volunteer participation.
- Delivers training and coaching of peers and volunteers related to Healthy Adolescent Development, Youth Leadership Development Program Theory, program quality standards as defined by program quality audit tool; ensures compliance.
- Completes and submits monthly program activity calendar and curriculum plan on a monthly basis.
- Completes and submits annual program self-assessment and enhancement plans as outlined in Youth Leadership Development Program Plan Year-at-a-glance and monthly planning calendars.
- Facilitates program self-assessment, quality audit and program continuous improvement /enhancement planning processes.
- Recruits Youth Leadership Development participants and volunteers.
- Ensures the safety of all activities and programs throughout the program and responds immediately to rectify all safety, injury and emergency concerns.
- Responsible for encouraging a positive environment and deals effectively and professionally with participant concerns.
- Continuously builds relationships with all staff, volunteers and participants during program.
- Builds positive relationship with participants and pro-actively seeks opportunities to challenge participants to seek appropriate and progressively challenging positive youth development opportunities.
- Provides support and is present during the entire program period and circulates through all program areas in rotation to ensure the above stated objectives are being met. Remains visible and approachable at all times.
- Encourages and provides a wide variety of both formal and informal opportunities for youth leadership, voice and ongoing program feedback.
- Ensures qualifications and certifications as required by the YMCA and regulatory standards are current at all times.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education in the field of Recreation and Leisure, youth/social work or related field
- Certification from YMCA Canada in Healthy Adolescent Development
- Minimum 1 year experience in facilitating, mentoring or instructing youth-related programs
- Previous experience with youth leadership development programs is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in effective coaching and development skills
- Previous knowledge of YMCA recreational programs an asset
- Ability to encourage and motivate members, volunteers and staff and to acknowledge and appreciate achievements and contributions
- Ability to deal effectively with escalated member concerns and achieve successful outcomes
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; detail-oriented
- Evidence of continuing professional development in working with youth an asset
- Current Standard First Aid/CPR required
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work including early mornings, evenings and weekends
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity.
- The position requires the following Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Valuing Diversity & Social Inclusion
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org