Vice President, Property Development
Regular Full Time
Posted date: December 04, 2017
|Employment TypeFull Time|
|Reports toSenior Vice President, Property Management & Development|
|Location / Region2200 Yonge Street, Toronto On|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity tackling the most critical social issues in the GTA. For more than 160 years, we have offered children, teens, young adults and families the opportunity for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Through child care services, education and training programs, employment and immigrant services, family and youth services and health and fitness programs, the YMCA is building healthy communities across the GTA.
These programs are offered across the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s property portfolio including a combination of owned and leased sites. The Property Management team focuses on the facility maintenance and property management, planning and implementation of construction repair and renovation projects across these YMCA’s 400+ locations.
The Property Development team focuses on the development of ten new owned facilities, called YMCA Centres of Community, that are being developed over the next many years. The projects consist of large Mixed-Use buildings that are be developed and constructed in partnership with a combination of Condominium and Office Property Developers and extend across the GTA. While many projects are in the early stages of pre-development, three are in active construction of the building shell. These projects, varying from 60,000 to 120,000 sf in size, will contain a combination of Health, Fitness and Childcare programs and are being developed in Mixed-Use buildings that are currently under construction.
The Vice President, Property Development, will provide strategic and tactical leadership to the Association’s Asset Development strategy that is responsible for the development, design and implementation of these properties. This position will have the responsibility of working with the Property Developers to ensure the YMCA Centre of Communities are developed and constructed to provide long-term sustainability, to design and construct the YMCA fitout work and start up the facility operation.
This position will report to the Senior Vice President, Property Management & Development, and will work closely with SVP Health and Fitness, YMCA executive leadership and Capital Implementation Circle (CIC), which is an internal, collaborative, cross-functional team.
- Works with Capital Implementation Circle (CIC) as a team member to coordinate within YMCA.
- Develops and executes all tasks and activities required to ensuring successful, efficient and effective implementation of all new developments.
- Prepares all plans, strategies and budgets necessary to allow the Chief Development Officer to finalize sites and schedules for the new developments in partnership with the SVP, Property Management and Development.
- Updating the Owners Statement of Requirements (OSR) that describes the YMCA approach to building and operating activities.
- Assumes accountability for developer negotiation and contract creation related to project implementation in close coordination with CFO, VP Real Estate and SVP, Property Management and Development.
- Works with operations team to ensure YMCA operational measures are incorporated into development agreements and building designs.
- Develops the budget, schedule and plan for the projects, updating through each stage of development.
- Oversees and ensures effective consultant selection processes (RFP design) and assists the Senior Vice President, Property Management and Development in appointing consultants in coordination with the Procurement Team.
- Works on commercial development with consulting design team, electrical, mechanical and structural engineer teams. Has extensive mechanical and building structure knowledge to effectively communicate the key YMCA systems and spaces while working with both developers and consultants.
- Works with municipal staff in the planning and building department and city leadership to advance building designs and property development.
- Manages project management team to deliver new construction projects, which includes determining substantial completion date, addressing delays with appropriate resolutions to minimize impact on overall project; develops deficiency list and remedial action plan; approves commission process; determines opening date and works with staff and volunteer team to plan opening ceremonies; co-ordinates move-in and start-up of facility in conjunction with senior management, operations team and key stake holders.
- Oversees and ensures effective management of the YMCA New Centre Design Process including: schematic development and selection taking into consideration all internal and external (regulatory) standards; designs and prepares development reports.
- Designs and implements selection process for contractors, suppliers and partners; develops and initiates the tender document approval process and executes the tender process, appoints builder or redesign process; designs construction supervision process. Works closely with the Procurement Team to meet YMCA polices.
- Evaluates overall project throughout all phases, providing regular reports, redesigns processes and time lines as required to ensure successful project completion; uses evaluation to plan for future projects; completes all activities and fully releases facility to property management team one year after opening.
- Ensures appropriate allocation of financial resources in all areas of responsibility.
- Provides ongoing evaluation of information, processes, plans, systems, training and contractor programs and ensures achievement of quality standards.
- Establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours with staff and members. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Provides leadership regarding the Association’s philanthropic initiatives. Understands and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism and imparts this knowledge and belief upon staff, volunteers and members.
- Participates in professional development, Association Committees and Strategic Task Forces; enthusiastically assumes additional opportunities to make connections within Association and in communities.
- Manages staff of Project Managers and Coordinators to achieve goals.
- Integral member of the YMCA Capital Implementation Circle (CIC) that coordinates the Capital Program in close coordination with YMCA leadership.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Ensures the health, safety and well-being of all children, youth and vulnerable people in YMCA programs. Commits to the professional responsibility of maintaining knowledge of legislation, policies and procedures, child and youth development and best practices to best serve and protect children, youth, and vulnerable people.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- University degree in Engineering or Construction Management an asset.
- 10-15 years’ experience in engineering or construction management.
- 10-15 years’ experience managing complex, institutional, mixed-used design and construction projects in a multi-owner environment.
- Experience in commercial real estate and leasing knowledge preferred.
- Experience in DBFM construction projects preferred.
- Minimum 5 years effectively supervising direct staff.
- Leadership supervising a diverse team.
- Experience in charitable sector preferred.
- Experience in fitness, recreation, community centre or similar facility development.
- Superior analytical skills, systematic thinker.
- Demonstrated understanding of values, engineering processes, first cost planning and life cycle.
- Experience in multi-disciplinary teams; demonstrated leadership skills.
- Experience and understanding of risk management issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of practical “LEED” design and construction process.
- Experience in joint development (partner) processes.
- Understanding of YMCA programs and services preferred.
- Proven ability to manage several projects at the same time (multi-task).
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent. communication with members, staff and volunteers.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Outcome thinking and committed to quality work.
- Flexibility to changing circumstances.
- Ability to manage multiple internal and external relationships in a respectful and professional manner displaying YMCA values and competencies.
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity.
- Experience with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) legislation as it relates to the building environment.
- Strong computer literacy with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Microsoft Project, AutoCAD.
- Familiarity with Accounting software and Asset Management software.
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Access to a vehicle is required due to regular travel throughout the GTA.
- Very competitive base salary
- Executive Benefit plan
- Retirement Plan
How to apply
For a confidential discussion and for more information regarding this exciting opportunity, please contact:
Gord Brandt, Feldman Daxon Partners
T: 416-515-7600 x273, E: email@example.com
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org