Lifesaving Instructor and Examiner - National Lifeguard
Regular Part Time
Posted date: December 01, 2017
|Position vacancy Closing date: December 15, 2017|
|Employment TypePart Time|
|Reports toProgram Supervisor – Health and Fitness|
|Location / RegionToronto Central Grosvenor St. YMCA Centre|
|Application DeadlineDecember 15, 2017|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Nature and scope
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. The Toronto Central Grosvenor St. YMCA Centre is one of nine full service health and fitness centres across the Greater Toronto area. The Centre provides a full range of services and community programs to more than 10,000 members, including children, youth and adults, who represent the diversity of Toronto and its communities.
The Lifesaving Instructor and Examiner teaches and examines specific course content, using Lifesaving Society and YMCA equipment, resources and materials. Instructors develop course lesson plans that incorporate different learning styles.
- While teaching in the aquatic area, ensures all safety and life guarding procedures are adhered to, and in the event of an emergency respond as trained by the Association and the Lifesaving Society.
- Delivers course content and examines participants following established Lifesaving Society criteria
- Plans, organizes and implements course lesson plans.
- Recognizes participant learning styles and delivers content accordingly.
- Coaches and develops participants to meet success.
- Ensures qualifications and certifications as required by the YMCA and regulatory standards are current at all times.
- Actively participates in scheduled programs, meetings and special events.
- In collaboration with individual program members, program volunteers and YMCA program staff, assists and encourages program members to access additional appropriate programs offered at this location.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Performs other related duties to fulfill commitment to quality programs for all members as assigned from time to time by supervisor
- Current Certifications in the following Lifesaving Society awards: National Lifeguard (NL), Standard First Aid & CPR level C, Instructor and Examiner in one or more of the following: National Lifeguard, Instructor Trainer
- Previous experience Instructing Lifesaving Courses an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with participants
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organizational skills and attention to detail
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including early mornings, days , evenings and weekends
- The position requires the following Association Competencies: advanced competence in: Effective Interpersonal Communications; being Member Focused; fundamental competence in: Ethics and Self-Management; Relationship Building and Partnering; being Results Focused; Teamwork and Collaboration; Valuing Diversity & Social Inclusion.
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org