Instructor Play ON
Part Time Contract
Posted date: September 29, 2017
|Position vacancy Closing date: January 01, 2018|
|Employment TypePart Time|
|HoursVariable schedule - as needed|
|Reports toManager Community Programs|
|Location / RegionVarious YMCA Locations - Durham Region, Peel/Halton Region, Toronto/York Region - Please ensure you are stating the specific center location you are applying to in the email subject- CFDjob|
|Application DeadlineJanuary 01, 2018|
Why Work for the Y?
YMCA of Greater Toronto aspires to be a great work place through an environment that embraces diversity and social inclusion, valuing differences and supporting full participation by all employees. The YMCA provides more than 5,000 employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. The YMCA works to build healthy communities. This is achieved through a shared culture and values. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits and growth opportunities.
Locations: Please ensure you are stating the location you are applying to in the email body; and if interested in more than one location please send one resume & cover letter and list the locations in order of preference.
Peel/ Halton Region
Nature & Scope:
For over 40 years, YMCA Child & Family Development has provided quality child care in the GTA and is the largest not-for-profit provider of Licensed Child Care in Canada. With more than 200 locations in child care centres, we offer a variety of programs: before and after school, nursery, full day early learning kindergarten extended day, school age, and family resource for children aged 0-12 years of age.
Play ON Programs are a part of Child & Family Development programming, which provides child care, camping, youth programming, including recreational programs, family resources and support and other programs, to children, youth and families.
The Instructor ensures that children, ages 6-12, have a positive experience leading to personal growth through fun and rewarding recreation and sport programs. The position also ensures these experiences promote the YMCA core values of inclusiveness, health, responsibility, respect, caring and honesty.
- Delivers programs in a manner in which the mission, values, goals and practices of the YMCA of Greater Toronto are being met, while building positive relationships.
- Ensures that the principles of Healthy Child Development and the Children’s Services standards are practiced in the delivery and planning of all children’s programs.
- Monitors the safety of all activities and programs throughout the duty period and respond immediately to rectify any safety concerns.
- Continuously builds relationships with members, staff, volunteers and community partners; assists in coaching and developing community members on an ongoing basis; ensuring skills are enhanced and weaknesses diminished.
- Takes action to ensure fun, safe and healthy experiences for all children and youth.
- Actively participates in scheduled programs, meetings and special events.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner
- Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Children's Aid Society.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous experience working with children and youth and/or in a related program area is an asset; demonstrated interest in recreational sports an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- All staff working with children are required under the Child Care and Early Year’s Act to have a valid standard first aid certification including infant and child cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) prior to the first day of work
- Flexibility regarding assigned work schedules, including weekday afternoons, evenings and weekends
Job offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check. Within the first four months and every three years thereafter, a Vulnerable Police Records Check is required.
The YMCA of Greater Toronto values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation at any stage during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
Provide us with information in the form below
All fields are required unless marked optional.
About YMCA of Greater Toronto
The YMCA of Greater Toronto is a dynamic charity offering opportunities for personal growth, community involvement and leadership. Our 2010-2020 strategic plan Strong Start Great Future calls upon our Association to invest in young people across their life stages to deliver on our vision of ensuring our communities will be home to the healthiest children, teens and young adults. This community health strategy includes a significant role for adults and older adults.
Mirroring the region’s diversity, the YMCA offers a variety of programs responding to the needs of the community, including employment and essential skills, education, newcomer programs, youth outreach and intervention, fitness, sports and aquatics, international programs, child care and camps.
When you support the YMCA of Greater Toronto’s Annual Giving, you help us ensure more children, youth and young adults have the chance to be healthy… and so much more. We believe that by providing our children with a strong start, they will have a great future. And, ultimately, strong, healthy children mean strong, healthy communities in the GTA for the years to come. www.ymcagta.org