YMCA Etiquette Statement: Our commitment to each other.
The YMCA is a shared experience for everyone to enjoy. Each of us can make it better for all by being considerate to others. YMCA members, staff and volunteers pledge to treat one another with respect and dignity. The YMCA reserves the right to suspend or cancel a membership at its sole discretion for inappropriate behaviour, or failure to comply with the Etiquette Statement as outlined on the back of a YMCA membership card.
- Children under the age of 10 may use YMCA programs and facilities when accompanied by a parent or guardian over the age of 16.
- To ensure your child's safety, you must remain in the building while your child participates in a program. When your child is not in a program, you must directly supervise them at all times.
- Children 6-9 years of age who can pass a facility swim test may swim on their own in the pool provided a parent or guardian who is at least 16 years of age or older is directly supervising them from the pool deck. Adults may supervise a maximum of four children.
- Children under 5 years of age, or children 6-9 who cannot complete the facility swim test, may not be admitted to the pool unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian who is responsible for their direct supervision. This means an adult 16 years of age or older must be in the water and within arm's reach of the child at all times. Adults may supervise a maximum of 2 children.
- Youth (children 10-15 years of age) and adults (16 years of age and older) are welcome to use the pool, subject to their swimming ability.
- Participants 10 years of age and older may access any YMCA program space provided it is used for its intended purpose and participation is carried out in a safe manner.
- The same guidelines apply to participants 9 years of age and under on condition that they are directly supervised by an adult or guardian over the age of 16 who is within arm’s reach at all times.
- Courts are booked up to 7 days in advance and at peak hours at the service desk. This option is included with a Plus Membership or a $5 monthly fee applies to General Members.
- Please note only our Toronto West End College St., Toronto Central Grosvenor Ave., and Toronto Sheppard Ave. Centres have courts.
- Children under the age of 16 may not use the whirlpool, sauna or steam room.
Group Fitness Programs
- Participants 10 years of age and older may participate in our group fitness classes.
- Participants 9 years of age and under must be directly supervised by an adult or guardian over the age of 16 and be within arm’s reach at all times.
- Due to space and equipment limitations in some classes, participants may have to reserve a space prior to class to be guaranteed a spot.
- For participant safety and appropriate gameplay, sports programs are separated by age and sometimes gender.
- Programs that are marked as open access on the program schedule are for members to use on a drop-in basis and are included in your Health & Fitness membership fee.
Registered / Additional Fees for Fitness Programs
- Programs that are marked as registered on the Health & Fitness program schedule are available to Health & Fitness members for an additional fee.
- The YMCA offers a wide variety of programs beyond Health & Fitness. Programs marked as registered YMCA programs such as Child Care and Camp are available to members who have registered to participate in those programs.
We are here to help you achieve your goals and enjoy a respectful, safe and fun workout. For your safety and the safety of others, proper attire must be worn while in program areas at all times.
- Only clean, dry, non-marking, closed-toe running shoes are permitted.
- Dress appropriately - gym attire; shirts, shorts, running shoes. Shirts must be worn.
- Food or beverages (except water) are not permitted in the locker rooms or program areas.
- Protect your belongings – lock them up in the locker room.
- Do not use the camera function on personal devices. Taking photographs, images or recordings is prohibited in locker rooms or pool areas.
We encourage all members and guests to support each other in making the locker room a welcoming, safe and comfortable environment.
YMCA VALUES: Inclusiveness. Health. Caring. Respect. Responsibility. Honesty.