YMCA Cedar Glen - Trip Planning Guide
Thank you for choosing YMCA Cedar Glen Outdoor Centre! Whether you are coming to Cedar Glen for your first time, or have visited many times before, we look forward to working with you to make the experience a successful one. The information below will lead you through the steps to ensure a successful trip and provide links to additional resources.
Steps to Ensure a Successful Trip:
Booking Confirmation (within 10 days after booking): We have now e-mailed a booking contract and invoice to confirm your reservation.
- Return a signed contract and the 25% deposit indicated on the invoice within 10 days of booking. If you anticipate payment arrangements taking longer than this, please contact us to discuss alternate arrangements. Payments are accepted by the following methods:
- Cheques must be made payable to YMCA of Greater Toronto.
- Credit cards can be processed by phoning (905) 859-9622 ext. 227.
- Electronic Funds Transfers (EFT) can be emailed to TorontoBankTeam@ymcagta.org. Please follow-up your EFT with an email TorontoBankTeam@ymcagta.org to notify us that the deposit has been made to YMCA Cedar Glen Outdoor Centre, the amount paid, and the invoice number.
- Select Outdoor Programming: If your group will be taking part in outdoor programming facilitated by Cedar Glen staff, please complete our online Program Request Form to let us know more about your group and the purpose of the trip.
Group Preparations: Prepare for the trip with the following resources:
- Packing List: For outdoor programming, it is essential that everyone is dressed for the weather. Please photocopy, distribute and review the Packing List with all participants coming on the trip.
- Book Transportation: Arrange for transportation to Cedar Glen by booking a bus or making other arrangements.
- Parent/Guardian Information: If this is a school or youth group, you may want to share information on the trip with parents or guardians:
Final Detail Confirmation (15 days prior): Three weeks prior to your visit, we will be in touch to confirm the following details:
- Number of youth and/or adult attending (including a gender breakdown for overnight groups)
- Arrival and departure times
- Special dietary needs
- Details on visitors with special needs
- Meeting room setup requests, for groups not participating in full outdoor programming
Please plan to collect this information, so that it can be returned to us, a minimum of 15 days before your booking. In order to accommodate last minute changes, the final invoice can be adjusted by up to 10%.
On the day of your booking:
- Directions: For directions to Cedar Glen visit: https://ymcagta.org/find-a-y/ymca-cedar-glen-outdoor-centre
- Arrival: Buses can proceed to our Main Lodge to drop off the group. There is plenty of room in our parking lot for guests arriving by car. Please check-in at the Main Lodge and be prepared to pay the remainder of your balance.
If you have any questions, review the Frequently Asked Questions below, and if it’s something we haven’t answered, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Choose from a wide range of curriculum-based programs year-round for grades three and up
- Customize a unique learning experience with our expert staff to complement your student’s classroom learning
- Guided activities for students to discover local animals, ecosystems, shelters, aboriginal culture, or orienteering
- YMCA Cedar Glen Outdoor Centre offers experiential workshops for Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) students. Students can work towards completing the certification component of their SHSM program through our workshops on:
- Effective Communication
- Customer Service
- Conflict Resolution
- Group Dynamics
- Leave No Trace Camping
- Map and Compass
- Work with one of our certified teachers on staff to plan your day or overnight SHSM workshop trip. In addition to an in-class session, our SHSM workshops can include group initiatives; the low ropes courses and our team challenge maze.
- In school programming: Let our team come to you and your students. With portable initiatives, educational activities and teambuilding exercises we can bring our programs to your school.
- A strong focus on asset development, effective communication skills and developing strong teamwork amongst individuals
- Individualized programs tailored to each group’s needs; these can target specific attributes such as communication skills, problem solving, leadership, teamwork and trust
- Staff facilitate a variety of tasks encouraging large or small groups to work together, communicate and build interpersonal trust
- Initiatives occur indoors or outdoors, and are individually moulded to target the needs of each visiting group
- Participants of all ages gain the opportunity to develop an awareness of the world around them and the confidence to be comfortable in nature.
- Program options include:
- Map and compass orienteering;
- Shelter and fire building;
- Outdoor survival skills;
- Tree identification and animal tracking;
- Eco-caching, nature hikes, pond study, archery, natural arts;
- Canoeing and kayaking (Pine Crest only), mountain biking (Cedar Glen only), astronomy, and more
- Canoe trips can be one of the most transformative experiences a group will have together and a great way to promote teamwork and good communication
- Programs are designed specific for your group and all the gear, food and instruction for your trip are provided by our team at Pine Crest
- Learning about canoe trips and packing prior to departure