Helping build a strong, healthy community for the future.
A legacy building from the 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games, this new Centre of Community opened its doors in May 2016 in the heart of the new, developing Canary District.
Developed in partnership with Waterfront Toronto, Infrastructure Ontario, and the Province of Ontario, the large, modern 82,000 YMCA Centre of Community is providing programs and services and programs to a neighborhood of 8,000, drawing families into local networks to ensure a strong, healthy community for the future.
The Centre includes a spaces for youth and community activities, a gymnasium, swimming pool, an accessible green roof, and fitness studios and exercise areas.
Snapshot of the surrounding neighbourhood:
- Mainly rental households
- 30% of families have children
- 41% belong to visible minority groups
- 34% of community are immigrants
- We officially opened our doors at the end of May.
- Krystal Koo and Michael Cooper give $2 million to name the new Cooper Koo Family YMCA.
- Read more about our plans in the West Don Lands, and the rest of the GTA, in the Toronto Star.